I just read this amazing poem by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton on my friend Jenni's blog, and I just had to steal it for my own. It is wonderful!!!! Enjoy :) (especially sweet momma of 5 Waverly!!)
Song for a Fifth Child.
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














5 comments:
Hey, Amie! I can so relate! Nope, don't have 5 blessings -- just the 3 -- but the JOY that there is in savoring the time with a young baby, especially with the anxiety of first-time parenting past & the peace that comes with a bit of time in this job as mother. So glad to see your posts in the last few days. Is everyone feeling healthier there? I hope so! Shouldn't write forever, but I am filled with gratitude for you sharing the poem above & for your sharing your daily experiences. Hugs & prayers for you & yours!
Hey Amie, The poem is great and so true. The little people will be grown up and gone before we know it. Thank you for sharing it! It was great seeing yall today and we are glad yall are better.
Beautiful! They do grow up too fast and what an important reminder to cherish our moments with them!
Love it! What a great reminder to slow down and savor the moments. Loved seeing you Thursday but wish we had more time to chat.
i loved it too : ) i read it to todd and got teary. he thought i was nuts... haha. hope you are doing well!!!
Post a Comment