Saturday, July 12, 2008

Black Widow Spider Protecting Her Egg Sacs

I was outside with the kids this morning when I noticed this black widow spider and her egg sacs in the corner of our brick wall. I am very scared of spiders, but I just had to get a picture of this amazing spider! You will notice a hole in her web to the left. This is where she goes to protect herself and to store the food she catches in her web. There were a lot of dead bugs stored up in her pantry! My BRAVE, BRAVE husband sprayed her web when he returned from work, and he disposed of this dangerous spider and her egg sacs. I am so very thankful that we found her web before all of her babies hatched! Her egg sacs contain hundreds and hundreds of baby spiders, and they spin silk webs to fly away in the wind-yikes! I just had to share this photo because this is not something you see everyday. I hope it doesn't give you the willies too much:)

No comments: