Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Update on Ethan's Allergy Testing


Above is a picture of Ethan with numbing cream on his arms before he had his blood drawn earlier this week. The labs came back negative for shrimp and everything else he was tested for, but the doctor still wanted to do a shrimp skin test. We were able to get in right away, and the skin test results showed that Ethan is not allergic to shrimp. Since these results are not 100 %, and a food allergy can be life threatening, the doctor wanted him to do a food challenge today.



I am so thankful that Adam was able to take him to this 2 hour appointment because I needed to be here for our Salvation Army pick up. Ethan was given shrimp in increasing amounts, and he was monitored every 15 minutes for 2 hours. The results showed that he is definitely NOT allergic to shrimp. This is great news, but we still do not know what he is allergic to--I am thankful that I have 2 Epi-pens just in case he would have an allergic reaction again that would result in trouble breathing. I pray that never happens!

No comments: