
I was thinking of the word "focus" today because I found myself saying it over and over again to my kids. We were walking through the skyways in the Mayo Clinic, and my kids decided that it would be fun to ride on their pretend horses. They quickly become completely unaware of anyone or anything around them. This would be fine if we were outside, but this is not fine while walking inside- especially because Mayo is full of people that are not feeling well. I noticed that when they were not paying attention they would look up and run into things or they would quickly "gallop" in front of me, and I would almost fall over. They would also walk really close to others, and I was worried that this would make people nervous. Can you tell I was getting frustrated? I knew there was a spiritual truth lurking about.
How often does God think, "Amie, just focus". "Focus on me, and you will not stumble. Focus on me, and you will sense my peace. Focus on me, and I will help you, for apart from me you can do nothing. Focus on me and you will see the beauty I have created all around you. Focus on me and you will reach out to people and see them as I do." OK, this was convicting! I decided to get on the computer and look up Bible verses that had to do with focusing. Below are a few that really spoke to me.
"Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you." 1 Timothy 4:16 NLT
"Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour." 1Peter 5:8 NLT
"But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don't be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry that God has given you.:" 2Timothy 4:5
"So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on the things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. " 2Corinthians 4:18
I saw this video on another blog a few weeks ago, and it immediately came to mind when I was thinking about the word "focus". It hit me that when I am not focused on God, I am focused only on myself. I am completely unaware of the people around me (i.e. people in the skyways at Mayo, people in the elevator, people at the grocery store, etc). I want to be fully focused on him, so that I will be open and ready for anyone that he wants to love through me. I know that even a simple smile has had a huge impact on me when I am having a bad day.














2 comments:
Great post. Many times I feel God saying, "Jenifer, focus!"
Dear Amie, Wow! Just logged onto your blog & found a treasure trove of photos & poems & insights into your daily life. Thanks for sharing so many JOYS and struggles. I appreciate the intimacy & wish I hadn't been away from your blog for so many days! Especially appreciating the Get It video. I'm sending a hug to your heart & prayers for all of you! Thank you for sharing YOU. XOXOX!
Post a Comment