Monday, January 17, 2011

What Can I Say?




I struggle with my hormones during a certain time each month. I have some days that are better than others, but today I felt like a shadow of myself. During these times I try to focus on praying, being quiet, and seeking God's presence. I love Hillsong, and this specific song really spoke to weary heart this evening.

I have often reflected on the following passage that I read a few years ago from a book by Teri Maxwell called Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit: "Hormonal ups and downs are a part of the way God made us. Coming to terms with the fact that they have an influence on our emotions will go a long way toward helping us live with them. We will be much better off if we pray through these days, rather than allow our emotions to rule our behavior. Try to run on "autopilot", not reacting or responding to anything but waiting until a day when the hormonal emotions have passed. " p.55

What a blessing for me to know that I am not the only one who struggles with these issues. Something else Teri Maxwell mentioned in this book is the importance of smiling at our children---really smiling at them. She told us to imagine that our kids had mirrors on their foreheads. What reflection would we see? Would we look bored, annoyed, angry, or genuinely happy? This was convicting! I especially need to focus on this during these times because smiles don't come as naturally.

Teri Maxwell also writes, "Quite often, though, I am the one holding the keys to the atmosphere in our home. When I make a concerted effort to smile, everyone in my family seems to put on a smile as well." p. 111

"While possible, it is truly difficult to genuinely smile on the outside while stewing on the inside." p. 112



All quotes were taken from the book above. I love this book and highly recommend it! I have marked all over it, and I read it at least once a year.


"Because YOU are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely." Psalm 63:7-8 NLT


1 comment:

Erin said...

I have been refering back to my meek and quiet spirit book too for the past week now! I love that book! Thanks for sharing Amie. I've loved reading your blog lately ;)