We also climbed a 40 ft rock wall later that day. We had never done that before either. They were both challenging, but we were happy that we did it! It feels good to accomplish something out of my comfort zone. The experience definitely made me think about what it means to really, truly CLING to God. I was focusing on this spiritual truth while I was clinging to those ropes for dear life. I was reciting scripture to myself the whole time (i.e. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."; "When I am weak, I am strong in God's power."). All I could do was focus on holding tightly to the rope while thinking about the step that was directly in front of me--to look down or to look at the next obstacle made the coarse more daunting.
The definition of cling is: come or be in close contact with; stick or hold together, resist separation--this was my favorite.
Now it was onto Bible verses to learn more! Below are a few of my favorites.
"You must fear the Lord and worship him and cling to him." Deuteronomy 10:20 NLT
"Serve only the Lord your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him."Deuteronomy 13:4 NLT
Keep your eyes open, hold tight (cling) to your convictions, give it all you've got, be resolute, and love without stopping. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 The Message
I am so thankful that the creator of the Universe calls me his friend (John 15:15), and that he wants me to cling to him. I, too, want to cling to him every step of each day. These verses show me that I can cling to him by worshiping him, fearing him, serving him, obeying him, focusing on him, clinging to my convictions, living fully for him, loving God and others wholeheartedly, and listening to him. This is going to take a lot of practice. Each and every day I must choose to cling to him and not run to the things of this world when things get tough.
My desire is to commit to cling to God like I never have before in 2011!
















1 comment:
During my moments of clinging high above the ground I felt the safety rope was like God. I may not have always been aware of its presence but it was always there to catch me at the first sign of stumble. Without that rope attached I never would have taken the first step!
Post a Comment